Blog Journal #1

    Hello, my name is Charlie Seldin and I am a sophomore at Florida State University. In school, I am Social Science Education major looking to get my master's in education and eventually my Ph.D. so that I can teach on a collegiate level. During my summers I spend my time working at a sleep-away camp in upstate New York working with younger boys day to day. I see both my passion for history/teaching and my job as a camp counselor in similar ways. I am educating and entertaining kids who will go on to hopefully do great things and I would like to believe that maybe I was a part of that growth. As a teacher, you get to feel this same sort of rewarding feeling within your occupation. This attracted me to a job within education. Overall I enjoy where I am at in my life and cant wait to see what will come especially at school. 

    Being as that I went to school in the 2000/2010 era technology in the classroom was never 'new' to me and if anything only expanded as my time went on in school. Starting as young as in elementary school I remember being fortunate enough to have a computer cart within my classroom and we would go on anything from coolmathgames to AR reading points. This extended into middle school and eventually to high school where I would bring my computer to school every day. Being as that I was in debate class I was required to bring my computer to school every day. Technology within the classroom is not new to me and I always found it to be helpful. 

    To support my learning needs and goals I have used a host of different resources throughout my academic career. From Canvas to physical copies of books I have expanded the tools that I have used to research so that I am familiar with all different types of resources. I think that technology is good in that it can provide you almost instant access to whatever you are looking for, but I also find pleasure in reading a book on a subject as well because it seems like I am "looking" for the answers in a way. If I had to give up one I would give up the internet. I am a reader at heart and would love to be nose deep in a textbook as opposed to my screen if given the opportunity.  





"Camp Walden" by j_villegas is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0




Comments

  1. Hey Charlie, working at a stay away camp in New York sounds like you had a very fun summer. I'm sure the kids learned a lot from you. I find it very fascinating that you prefer physical copies of textbooks rather than learning online. I would agree with you to an extent. I do really enjoy in person class rather than online as well as physically taking notes, but I personal don't know that I would be able to survive without the internet, so it is really cool that you find pleasure in taking a step back from technology.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #4

Blog Journal #9

Blog Journal #5